Re: dvips TeX printer driver

brownh@hartford-hwp.com (Haines Brown) writes:

> It seems that in my old RedHat installation, dvips did the printing as
> well, but not under debian. Also, my recollection is that the LaTeX
> manuals presume dvips will do both operations at once.

I don't think redhat or debian makes any difference.  It should just
depend on how it is configured.  Have you looked at 'texconfig dvips'?
(You will probably need to run it as root.)  From that menu, you can
print a test page.

The solution 'lpr file.ps' is just using the print command to print a
ps file, it is unrelated to dvips.

Have you read 'info dvips'?  It says there that output from dvips can
be routed to a file or printed directly.  It also documents a file
called config.ps that controls printing.  In my config.ps (located in
/usr/local/TeX/texmf/dvips/config/; note this was not a Debian
installation), it has this specific comment:

% How to print, maybe with lp instead lpr, etc. If commented-out, output
% will go into a file by default.

So, just fix that.  The info page has other examples.  My guess is
that redhat defaults to printing and debian defaults to sending the
output to a file.

I hope this is helpful.

Brian