Re: dvips TeX printer driver

> In article <[🔎] 20040206163700.2AE14212@teufel.hartford-hwp.com>, Haines Brown wrote:
> > When I migrated to debian, I lost my ability to print LaTeX files. No
> > information is sent to the printer.
> >
> > The printer driver is dvips, and I assumed that it was included in the
> > LaTeX package, for that was the case with my LaTeX installation under
> > RedHat. Under Debian, is the driver a separate package, and if so what
> > is it called?
>
> I'm using tetex, and it is wonderfully wel. dvips is in the tetex-bin
> package.
>
> I wonder why you say "no information is sent to the printer". Do you
> have dvips installed, but is it simply not working? Can you grenerate
> proper .ps files, and can you see them with ghostscript (or gv, etc).

I went on in more detail in another reply. In short, I do have dvips
installed, and it is not working. When I run dvips on a dvi file, it
generate what I can only assume is a proper .ps file, but the output
never gets to the printer. I can view and manipulate .ps files with
ghostscript, but can't get ghostscript to print them.

Haines Brown