Re: Very slow mount over NFS?

Karsten M. Self <kmself@ix.netcom.com> said,
> on Thu, Jan 15, 2004 at 12:59:50PM -0500, Aaron (aaron@core-dev.com) wrote:
> > Good day, Debs,
>
> My guess:  Install the portmapper service on *BOTH* your NFS server and
> the clients.

"portmap" seems to be running on both machines. The client is Debian
Sid, 2.6.1, and I haven't touched up any of the portmap configuration or
anything (I'm not entirely sure what it does, but I'm not asking, I'll
RTFM, don't you worry).

"portmap" is also running on the server, OS X 10.2.8. I don't use WINS
or anything here on my network, but given that I have Samba running on a
couple of other Debian machines, perhaps that could be fooling around
with things?

I use my /etc/hosts files to perform name resolution, and I never enable
the WINS capability of Samba. I can mount shares from this (the client
machine in question) that reside on my Debian Woody server (via Samba)
just fine, they mount as close to instantly as I would expect.

> [snip]
>
> Probably a different issue, but likely directory / reverse lookup WINS
> stuff or similar.  But I don't do Samba much.

Does anyone else have ideas regarding this possible reverse-lookup
issue? Debugging suggestions are welcome.

--
Aaron Bieber
-