Re: Very slow mount over NFS?

on Thu, Jan 15, 2004 at 12:59:50PM -0500, Aaron (aaron@core-dev.com) wrote:
> Good day, Debs,

My guess:  Install the portmapper service on *BOTH* your NFS server and
the clients.

> I am experiencing a very peculiar delay while mounting NFS volumes on my
> OS X box. Now, I realize that this isn't really the place for OS X
> questions, but I wonder if anyone has experience with debugging a mount
> procedure?

> I have tried -v but it doesn't tell me ANYTHING while it hangs there for
> easily five minutes trying to mount.

Yep.  That's thet sign.

> I have checked the OS X "console," which I believe is just another
> name for "syslog" that Apple decided would be more appropriate (read:
> confusing), and there are no messages about nfs at all.
>
> I remember that mounting shares on the OS X box used to be fast, but I'm
> not sure what changed. It's equally slow mounting Samba shares.

Probably a different issue, but likely directory / reverse lookup WINS
stuff or similar.  But I don't do Samba much.

> How can I get even more information about what it's actually doing while
> it's hanging there? I don't know if it's a strange networking/resolution
> problem, or a specific issue with the mount program itself.

HTH.

Peace.

    A few years ago you could buy a CD, knowing that it was a standard
    product... Now, you...find that you can play it in your hi-fi, but
    not in your car.  Next time, you're not going to make that mistake,
    you'll just log on to Kazaa and download an MP3.
    -- Pete Chown, on why DRM promotes piracy.