Re: FireWire disk - sharing with an iBook?

On Thu, 29 Jan 2004 19:05:14 +0000
James Tappin <james@tappin.me.uk> wrote:

> I have a Lacie Firewire pocket drive. I'd rather like to be able to use
> it on both my Debian (Sid) box and my iBook (Mac OsX).
>
> I have no problems making it accessible to either machine but neither
> seems to be able to read the other's partition table. Is there any way
> to be able to read a Mac partition table on the Linux box or to write a
> partition table on the Linux box that will be readable on the Mac?
>
> The fact that a colleague has a USB keyring solid-state disk that is
> readable on Mac, Linux and Windows without any problems suggests that it
> should be possible
>
> TIA
> 	James

I know it's generally bad form to reply to one's own posts, but for the
benefit of anyone searching the archives for a solution to a similar
problem I'll describe the resolution.

If you format the disk on the Mac you're pretty much on a non-starter,
although the Debian kernel config has "CONFIG_MAC_PARTITION=y" it won't
recognize the partition table  (does than only handle OS9 and below
disks?).

Format the disk on the Linux PC and create a single partition at number 4
(remember ZIP disks?). Create an Ext2 filesystem on the partition, and add
a world-writable directory to it. Then provided you have the ext2 package
for the Mac (locatable via macupdate.com) you have disk that can be used
on both boxes.

The one thing I still don't understand is how the USB keyring whcih shoed
up at partition 1 was seen by the Mac.

James

--
James Tappin,             O__      "I forget the punishment for using
james@tappin.me.uk       --  \/`    Microsoft --- Something lingering