Re: Newbie Install

John G wrote:
I am about to put up my first server.  I hope to make it dual boot to
get experience on both linux and windows 2003.  I have a server with
no operating system and have 2 questions to start.

1.  Which os do I load first.  Everything I have read so far assumes I
have already installed windows.  But this is a clean server.  I have
booted it with a copy of Knoppix 3.2, as well as the first Debian disk.

I would install windows 2003 first. it can happily overwrite the boot sector than. Be sure to leave enough place for the linux partitions thought.

Afterwords you install debian, and grub, and let windows 2003 be booted by it.
2. Which is easier, to install from the Knoppix disk, or from the Debian disk. I know that the Knoppix will work because it booted completely from the CD.

The knoppix installation will probably work fine, but it will install you many things you will probably not need for a server installation. So here, I would go for the woody installer. Which will give you the choice of what to install.
John G.

Greets
--
Bob Hentges                            |     .''`.
http://bhentges.luxadmin.org           |    : :'  :