Re: Newbie Install

On Mon, 19 Jan 2004 20:46:37 +0100,
Bob Hentges <bob@hentges.net> wrote in message
<[🔎] 400C341D.9010200@hentges.net>:

> John G wrote:
> > I am about to put up my first server.  I hope to make it dual boot
> > to get experience on both linux and windows 2003.  I have a server
> > with no operating system and have 2 questions to start.
> >
> > 1.  Which os do I load first.  Everything I have read so far assumes
> > I have already installed windows.  But this is a clean server.  I
> > have booted it with a copy of Knoppix 3.2, as well as the first
> > Debian disk.
>
> I would install windows 2003 first. it can happily overwrite the boot
> sector than. Be sure to leave enough place for the linux partitions
> thought.

..and at least one set of partitions for your data.  ;-)

> Afterwords you install debian, and grub, and let windows 2003 be
> booted by it.
> > 2. Which is easier, to install from the Knoppix disk, or from the
> > Debian disk.  I know that the Knoppix will work because it booted
> > completely from the CD.
>
> The knoppix installation will probably work fine, but it will install
> you many things you will probably not need for a server installation.
> So here, I would go for the woody installer. Which will give you the
> choice of what to install.

..seriously, you wanna go the slow safe way with woody.  ;-)
Knoppix is great to check out new boxes and get you out of
trouble when you screw up.  You will.  ;-)

..can you get a refund for the Wintendo?

  Scenarios always come in sets of three: