Re: apt problem

Thus spake Alexander Schmehl (alexander@schmehl.info):

> * Deryk Barker <dbarker@turing.cs.camosun.bc.ca> [040118 21:06]:
> > I'm having a problem with my wife's machine (running testing) and I
> > can't seem to find a way out.
> >
> > While doing an upgrade it broke because apparently both kdepim-libs
> > and libkcal2 contain the file /usr/lib/libkcal2.so.0.0
>
> Your can use "dpkg --force-overwrite <packagename>" to install the
> newer package. So dpkg will ignore, that this file is in both packages.
> Your'll find the .deb-files in /var/cache/apt/archives/.
>
> The next step would be to find out, what went wront and file a bug
> report using reportbug.

I think we got trapped by KDE. My wife was running the woody backport
of KDE3.1. I should have remembered that deleting and then
reinstalling KDE was likely to be required.

However (and thanks) the --force-overwrite did work (although I had to
do it for several packages) and combined with apt-get -f install got
the job done.

Of course, now I'm in trouble because the upgrade removed my wife's
browser of choice (galeon) and I have yet to convert her
bookmarks....

--
|Deryk Barker, Computer Science Dept. | Music does not have to be understood|
|Camosun College, Victoria, BC, Canada| It has to be listened to.           |