Re: OT: Why the net Sucks: Stonehenge

On Tue, 13 Jan 2004 01:13:42 -0800, Nano Nano wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 13, 2004 at 09:06:25AM +0000, Clive Menzies wrote:
> [snip]
>> > The net is best for finding out what books to read;)
>> I wouldn't suggest that the net is better than an authoratitive book but
>> a quick search on stonehenge history produced:
>> http://www.britannia.com/history/h7.html as the first entry and many
>> more besides.  How you search is key to finding the best information.
>
> Yeah, that is better.
> I think link #2 is even better:
> http://www.anima.demon.co.uk/stones/stonehen/history.html
>
> but these aren't exactly deep; these are more like the Travel
> Brochures you see in hotel lobbies.  None of the other links are very
> good at all.
>
> And having to type in "stonehenge history" is the kind of beef I had
> with old-school search engines like Hotbot or Altavista: you have to be
> *so* specific or you get crap.  Compare these results with typing in
> just "stonehenge" in the subject category of a decent university
> library.  I want my results pages to look like that.

I don't see any problem.  I found, I think, the sort of thing for
which you were looking in just a few seconds.

Googled on (without the quotes) "stonehenge history research" and found
this (the 6th link down), and the first one I went to based on the
extracts on the google search results:

http://www.aboutstonehenge.info/index.php

BTW, if you ever visit Stonehenge, also visit the West Kennet Long Barrow.
You park near Silbury Hill, cross the road and walk uphill along the edge
of a wheat field. It's a Neolithic burial chamber, predating Stonehenge.
Hardly anyone goes there, there's no ropes, guides, or anything. Just
walk inside the tomb and take a look around. Put your hand on the rock
slab wall and make a connection with those people, just like you and me,
with similar hopes and fears, who loved their families and children and
respectfully buried their dead, who dressed those stones and built that
burial chamber over five thousand years ago.

Link: http://www.stonepages.com/england/westkennet.html

--

Programming without a hex editor is like watchmaking without a hammer.