Re: OT: Why the net Sucks: Stonehenge

On Tue, Jan 13, 2004 at 09:06:25AM +0000, Clive Menzies wrote:
[snip]
> > The net is best for finding out what books to read;)
> I wouldn't suggest that the net is better than an authoratitive book but
> a quick search on stonehenge history produced:
> http://www.britannia.com/history/h7.html as the first entry and many
> more besides.  How you search is key to finding the best information.

Yeah, that is better.
I think link #2 is even better:
http://www.anima.demon.co.uk/stones/stonehen/history.html

but these aren't exactly deep; these are more like the Travel
Brochures you see in hotel lobbies.  None of the other links are very
good at all.

And having to type in "stonehenge history" is the kind of beef I had
with old-school search engines like Hotbot or Altavista: you have to be
*so* specific or you get crap.  Compare these results with typing in
just "stonehenge" in the subject category of a decent university
library.  I want my results pages to look like that.

EORant :-)