Still more X trouble from the install!

I'm still having these problems, on my main machine, which has resisted XFree from the start. As sugested, I've updated the kernel to the prebuilt image 2.4.18-k7 from the woody isos and confirmed the update with uname. It still won't recognise my usb mouse.

The mouse in question is a logitech MX700. I find it hard to belive that the iso kernel builds do not support somthing as comon as a usb mouse, maybe there is another problem here? Google groups says nothing much about this mouse and debian [http://tinyurl.com/2tvzo] and in windows it works as a standard usb mouse.

As you can see I'm directing x to "/dev/input/mice". How can I be sure my kernel is using /dev/input/mice for the usb mouse?

When X tries to start I get some odd looking static. Mostly green, but with thick vertical lighter/darker stripes and sometimes some still shapes at the top. Then it throws me back to the command line.

Should it matter if I'm using gdm, kdm or xdm?

Again, find my X log and config here
http://users.aber.ac.uk/jqh1/x/XF86Config-4
http://users.aber.ac.uk/jqh1/x/XFree86.0.log

--