X trouble from install

Hi.

I installed debian GNU/Linux on one of my machines about a fortnight ago from woody(r2) cds 1-3. I can't get any graphics despite much tinkering.

My level of experiance: windows geek for a long time, but been using sun unix at university really like KDE. So I'm moving one of my main boxes over to linux and debian seems a good choice because of apt etc. I have a fair amount of (sun) BSD unix experiance as a user, but almost none as admin.

At this stage I'm pretty sure it's the mouse that isn't working. But don't take my word for it, check the link to the latest log at the bottom of this message.

I've read the wiki article here http://wiki.debian.net/index.cgi?USBMouseConfig and am pretty sure I've followed it properly (again, could someone have a look at the config file I've posted and confirm everything looks ok for a usb mouse?)

I've also read this http://www.mindwarp.net/debian-usb.php and to be honest I'm a bit worried if I have to recompile the kernel just to use a usb mouse! Is everything at this page really necessary?

relevent hardware is as follows:
Logitech MX700 mouse
old 'battleship' IBM model M keyboard :) on ps2 port
fairly generic Nvidia GeForce 4ti 4200 by abit
Samsung SyncMaster 171s (specs in the pdf here http://tinyurl.com/2wsuk)

XF86Config 		http://users.aber.ac.uk/jqh1/x/XF86Config-4
XFree86.0.log 	http://users.aber.ac.uk/jqh1/x/xfree86.log

--