Woody-->Sid - any current gotchas?

Evenin' all.

I'm about 2 hours away from getting my SOs new (well, third-hand)
desktop machine up and running.  Because she's a fairly non-technical
sort, I want to give her the friendliest DE/WM I can - and I'm guessing
that means something Gnome 2.4-y, which I'm only really going to get in
Sid. (This isn't the main point of this email, but am I right here?)

The install CDs I have are woody.r0, and I'm wondering if there any
dist-upgrade gotchas in Sid at the moment?  Also (it's been so long
since I did it last) is it recommended to go Woody->Sarge->Sid, or is
Woody->Sid preferred?

Finally, is a net install a good/bad/indifferent idea?  I'm fairly keen
to try it for the first time, so any pointers would be appreciated!

cheers,
jc

--
Please don't CC: me - reply on list instead.