Re: X trouble from install

Jim Higson wrote:

I installed debian GNU/Linux on one of my machines about a fortnight ago from woody(r2) cds 1-3. I can't get any graphics despite much tinkering.

<snip>

At this stage I'm pretty sure it's the mouse that isn't working. But don't take my word for it, check the link to the latest log at the bottom of this message.

Yes, your problem is your mouse:

II) Keyboard "Generic Keyboard" handled by legacy driver
(**) Option "Protocol" "IMPS/2"
(**) USB mouse: Protocol: "IMPS/2"
(**) Option "CorePointer"
(**) USB mouse: Core Pointer
(**) Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
(EE) xf86OpenSerial: Cannot open device /dev/input/mice
    No such device.
(EE) USB mouse: cannot open input device
(EE) PreInit failed for input device "USB mouse"
(II) UnloadModule: "mouse"
(WW) No core pointer registered
No core pointer

Fatal server error:
failed to initialize core devices

I've read the wiki article here http://wiki.debian.net/index.cgi?USBMouseConfig and am pretty sure I've followed it properly (again, could someone have a look at the config file I've posted and confirm everything looks ok for a usb mouse?)

This page tells X how to find your USB mouse, but it depends on the system underneath knowing about your mouse first.

I've also read this http://www.mindwarp.net/debian-usb.php and to be honest I'm a bit worried if I have to recompile the kernel just to use a usb mouse! Is everything at this page really necessary?

Probably not. This is if you're "rolling your own" kernel.

However, you probably will want a 2.4 kernel. Which version are you running now? You can run "uname -a" to find out. If it's a 2.2, yeah, you'll want to upgrade to 2.4. You can find a suitable kernel with the command "apt-cache search kernel-image-2.4", which will show something like:

kernel-headers-2.4.18-bf2.4 - Headers for Linux kernel version 2.4.18 (bf variant) on 386
kernel-image-2.4-386 - Linux kernel image for version 2.4 on 386.
kernel-image-2.4-586tsc - Linux kernel image for version 2.4 on Pentium-Classic. kernel-image-2.4-686 - Linux kernel image for version 2.4 on PPro/Celeron/PII/PIII/PIV. kernel-image-2.4-686-smp - Linux kernel image for version 2.4 on PPro/Celeron/PI

etc etc.

So if you have a Celeron single processor, you'd want to "apt-get install kernel-image-2.4.686". After the requisite reboot, I would not be too surprised if the mouse just works. If not, let us know and we'll go from there.

relevent hardware is as follows:
Logitech MX700 mouse
old 'battleship' IBM model M keyboard :) on ps2 port
fairly generic Nvidia GeForce 4ti 4200 by abit
Samsung SyncMaster 171s (specs in the pdf here http://tinyurl.com/2wsuk)
XF86Config http://users.aber.ac.uk/jqh1/x/XF86Config-4

This address is incorrect; remove the "/x".

XFree86.0.log     http://users.aber.ac.uk/jqh1/x/xfree86.log

--
Kent