Re: smart media card reader problem

On Monday 12 January 2004 12:03, Colin Watson wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 12, 2004 at 11:53:45AM +0000, Richard Lyons wrote:
> > On Monday 12 January 2004 11:37, Colin Watson wrote:
> > > On Mon, Jan 12, 2004 at 11:25:44AM +0000, Richard Lyons wrote:
> >
> > [...]
> > >
> > > I don't know about your other devices, but Disgos show up as
> > > /dev/sda, unpartitioned; you don't have /dev/sda1 etc.
> >
> > Okay, I might look at that, but maybe in light of you later
> > comments, I might just give the disgo to a windoze user...
>
> Heh. I don't think they're *that* bad, actually; I'm almost certain
> that the bug must be in the kernel drivers rather than in hardware. I
> haven't got round to trying it with 2.6 to see if that clears it up.
>
> My Disgo setup is a little complicated since it has a VFAT filesystem
> containing a loop-mounted ext2 filesystem containing a cfs
> filesystem, which tends to confuse issues like this somewhat.

No, you're right: it must be the kernel drivers. I've now discovered it
is worse than you described.  I have no complicated filesystems on any
of the media, but after mounting any one of them it is necessary to
reboot before you can mount any other type.  This applies also to smart
media and to SD cards - not just to the disgo.  Now that is tedious...

Hey ho.

--
richard