smart media card reader problem

This is puzzling me.  I have used smart media cards from my olympus
camera not only to read in photos, but also to transfer data.  THe card
reader is a cheap and simple "PCline" blue thing plugged into the USB.
All well and good.  Then I tried a "disgo" - but got
   mount: /dev/sda1 is not a valid block device
Meanwhile a different camera has SD cards.  So I got the equivalent
reader for SD cards.  They also work fine.  Still no problem.

Now I plug in the smart media card reader again, and suddenly all the
cards that I have used only two weeks ago are unreadable. They all give
   mount: /dev/sda1 is not a valid block device

Seems to me that one of four things can have caused this.

 1 The smart card reader has coincidentally gone wrong just when it
   was not used for two weeks.

 2 The "disgo" somehow caused a change of setup or hardware somewhere.

 3 The SD card reader somehow caused a change. (It still works, so
   the hardware and cable would seemm to be ok)

 4 The latest update I did to sid during this period has altered the
   modules so that they can only read SD and not smart media.

Or what?...

Any insights, please.

--
richard