Re: linux bewbie lame question

Hello

Tendril (<dontuspamtendril@shotgunsandwich.net>) wrote:

>> I'm no expert, but I _think_ what you need to do is install the alsa
>> modules for your kernel. Find out which kernel you have with "uname
>> -a". For example, on my box this command results in:
>>
>>     Linux acureg 2.4.18-686 #1 Sun Apr 14 11:32:47 EST 2002 i686
>>     unknown
>
> for me:
>
>        Linux achilles 2.2.20-idepci #1 Sat Apr 20 12:45:19 EST 2002
>        i686 unknown
>
>> So I have a 2.4.18-686 kernel installed. To install the alsa modules
>> for this kernel, I'd search for it like so:
>>     apt-cache search alsa-modules-2.4
>> which results in:
>
> apt-cache search alsa-modules-2.2
>
> for me:
>
> 0/nada/nothing

The stock kernels come with sound drivers that may support your card.
Try

modprobe cs46xx

to see if it works. Maybe the idepci kernel does not have the driver you
need, in that case it may be easier to install another one, like 2.2.20
or 2.4.18-1-686 instead of compiling and setting up alsa. The kernel
you have installed probably has security issues, and you have to get a
newer package from security.debian.org anyway. By default the package
management system does not know that the installation kernel is there,
so it is not updated by apt.

best regards
        Andreas Janssen

--