Re: linux bewbie lame question

Hello

(Quoting fixed again. That looked really strange)

Tendril (<dontuspamtendril@shotgunsandwich.net>) wrote:

> Kent West (<westk@acu.edu>) wrote:

>> If so, the error message you're getting is now probably a different
>> error.
>> Rather than saying "permission denied", it probably says something
>> like "no device". Double-check the error message and let us know one
>> way or the other.
>>
>> If the error has changed as I suspect, that probably means the module
>> for your sound card has not loaded. Run "lspci" and look for a
>> reference to a multimedia device or something similar. Let us know
>> the results.
>
> yes, the error now says "no device"
> I logged into a terminal as root, changed to the /dev directory ant
> typed: lspci
> Here are the results:
> [...]
> 00:05.0 multimedia audio controller: cirrus logic cs 4614/22/24
> [crystalclear soundfusion audio accelerator] (rev 01)
> [...]

Looks like cs46xx might be the right driver. Try

modprobe cs46xx

This will load the driver. To load it automatically, add a line

cs46xx

to /etc/modules

or a line

alias sound-slot-0 cs46xx

to /etc/modutils/aliases or your own file in /etc/modutils and run
update-modules.

>> If I understand what you're saying, I believe "su" by itself does not
>> copy over the appropriate environmental authorization keys to run
>> X-related applications. Rather than do that, I suggest you install
>> "sudo", add yourself to the sudoers file with "visudo" with "ALL=ALL"
>> permission, and then when you want to run konqueror from a terminal
>> as root, run "sudo konqueror".

The default setup on Debian systems does not allow X programs to be
opened for other users, including root. The best way to do this would
probably be to use kdesu:

kdesu konqueror

or, if you don't use KDE, at the commandline as root, use

export XAUTHORITY=/home/andreas/.Xauthority

(if andreas is the user that started the X session).

If you use "su -", you must also set the DISPLAY variable:

export DISPLAY=:0.0

best regards
        Andreas Janssen

--