Re: linux bewbie lame question

Hello

Tendril (<dont_u_spam_tendril@shotgunsandwich.net>) wrote:

> , I previously posted this on linux.debian.laptop but was informed
> that it wasn't the correct forum for this so here goes again.:
>

>> I was given a thinkpad with debian woody installed (no billyware).
>> It boots lovely except for the audio. I get this message at logon:
>>
>> error while initialising sound driver:
>> device /dev/dsp can't be opened (permission denied)
>> the sound server will continue, using the null output lines
>>
>> How do I correct this? (my installation won't let me log into an
>> xwindows environment as root, I have to do it through a terminal so
>> some easy instructions would be very welcome)
>
> I can't find /dev/dsp. I'm in no way familier with the linux file
> system. I looked using konquerer...  /root/dev but it contained no
> /dsp.

The file name is /dev/dsp, so you should be able to see it if you enter
file:/dev/ in the address bar. If you choose detailed view, you can see
that the owning group of the file is audio, and only owner and group
have access to that file.

Add the user to the audio group. Log out and in again. That should solve
your problem.

best regards
        Andreas Janssen

--