Re: Uh-Oh - boot problem

On Sat, 3 Jan 2004 21:44:46 -0500,
Kevin Mark <kmark+debian-user@pipeline.com> wrote in message
<[🔎] 20040104024446.GA21201@debian.potter>:

> On Sat, Jan 03, 2004 at 05:35:56PM -0800, Chris Cothrun wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > My sid system won't boot. Kernel panic after a
> > bunch of attempts to load modules.
> >
> > Output is something like:
> > modprobe can't open dependancies file /lib/modules
> > mount: you must specify filesystem type
> > pivot_root: no such file or directory
> > /sbin/init: cannot open /dev/console: no such file
> > attempted to kill init
> > kernel panic
> >
> > I think it is because apt-get upgraded my kernel,
> > but I forgot to run lilo. Would that do it?
> >
> > I've got the Debian Woody install disk and I've
> > tried booting my partitions from that but no luck,
> > I get a kernel panic (but not the long list of
> > module loading attempts).
> >
> > I can boot the install CD and get a console, any
> > pointers on fixing things from here? I think I can
> > mount the partition and then run lilo, right?
>
> Hi Chris,
> kernels are not deleted automatically. So, if you install another one,
> it is there still. If you have a GOOD LILO.CONF, the this will work.
> 1) get Knoppix
> 2) boot knoppix
> 3) go to a console (with ctrl-alt-fn1) or using the knoppix menu
> 4) mount the root parition from your HD (mount /dev/hda1 /mnt)

...as in:' mount -v -o,rw  /dev/hda1 /mnt '...

> where hda1 is the location of your root.
> 5) chroot /mnt

...as in:' chroot /mnt /bin/bash ', or whatever shell you prefer.

> 6) lilo -v
> assuming lilo runs it will re-install lilo and when you reboot
> everything works.

..before playing with more disks, or if you need to scp the disk image
or whatever;' mount -v -t proc /proc proc ', but do remember to
' umount -v /proc ', or ugly things happen.

> 7) just to be safe, also run 'mkboot' this will prompt you for a
> floppy and will make a 'boot disk' incase lilo doesnt install ok on
> the HD-Kev
>

> > Trying the above, I've gone to the console and run
> > e2fsck /dev/hda2, it listed a couple of inodes and
> > then reported everything OK. After that I'm able to
> > mount /dev/hda2 (root) but lilo complains about
> > libc5.so (GLIBC_2.3 not found).

  Scenarios always come in sets of three: