Uh-Oh - boot problem

Hi,

My sid system won't boot. Kernel panic after a
bunch of attempts to load modules.

Output is something like:
modprobe can't open dependancies file /lib/modules
mount: you must specify filesystem type
pivot_root: no such file or directory
/sbin/init: cannot open /dev/console: no such file
attempted to kill init
kernel panic

I think it is because apt-get upgraded my kernel,
but I forgot to run lilo. Would that do it?

I've got the Debian Woody install disk and I've
tried booting my partitions from that but no luck,
I get a kernel panic (but not the long list of
module loading attempts).

I can boot the install CD and get a console, any
pointers on fixing things from here? I think I can
mount the partition and then run lilo, right?

Trying the above, I've gone to the console and run
e2fsck /dev/hda2, it listed a couple of inodes and
then reported everything OK. After that I'm able to
mount /dev/hda2 (root) but lilo complains about
libc5.so (GLIBC_2.3 not found).

TIA!

Chris