Re: Uh-Oh - boot problem

On Sat, Jan 03, 2004 at 05:35:56PM -0800, Chris Cothrun wrote:
> Hi,
>
> My sid system won't boot. Kernel panic after a
> bunch of attempts to load modules.
>
> Output is something like:
> modprobe can't open dependancies file /lib/modules
> mount: you must specify filesystem type
> pivot_root: no such file or directory
> /sbin/init: cannot open /dev/console: no such file
> attempted to kill init
> kernel panic
>
> I think it is because apt-get upgraded my kernel,
> but I forgot to run lilo. Would that do it?
>
> I've got the Debian Woody install disk and I've
> tried booting my partitions from that but no luck,
> I get a kernel panic (but not the long list of
> module loading attempts).
>
> I can boot the install CD and get a console, any
> pointers on fixing things from here? I think I can
> mount the partition and then run lilo, right?

Hi Chris,
kernels are not deleted automatically. So, if you install another one,
it is there still. If you have a GOOD LILO.CONF, the this will work.
1) get Knoppix
2) boot knoppix
3) go to a console (with ctrl-alt-fn1) or using the knoppix menu
4) mount the root parition from your HD (mount /dev/hda1 /mnt)
where hda1 is the location of your root.
5) chroot /mnt
6) lilo -v
assuming lilo runs it will re-install lilo and when you reboot
everything works.
7) just to be safe, also run 'mkboot' this will prompt you for a floppy
and will make a 'boot disk' incase lilo doesnt install ok on the HD
-Kev