Re: Uh-Oh - boot problem

On 3 Jan 2004 , <Chris Cothrun <chris@cothrun.com>> wrote:
> My Debian system won't boot. Kernel panic after a
> bunch of attempts to load modules.
>
> I think it is because apt-get upgraded my kernel,
> but I forgot to run lilo.

Thanks to Tom and John on lvlug and Arnt and Kevin on debian-
user I got the system working. A Mepis boot CD (I had the ISO
around from previous experimentations) helped immensely as
well.

The key seemed to be some kind of filesystem problem as I
didn't make progress until I ran fsck from Mepis.

I reverted to the 2.4.22 kernel image, removed the 2.4.23
image and then reinstalled it using synaptic. The apt tools
do run lilo unless you tell them not to, but even then lilo
should have been able to boot the 2.4.22 kernel.

Now, on to messing things up with my own kernels :)

Chris