Getting ext3 correctly in the kernel or boot

I apparently do have ext3 around as a module. This is an endemic knoppix
problem, apparently, since I am not the only one to have gotten that
"mounting ext3 as ext2" warning after making the switch.

I need some hand-holding to get it either in an initrd (putting ext3 in the
mkinitrd/modules file and running mkinitrd gives me its help list only and
does nothing) or to compile it into the kernel itself.

I have a recent, Knoppix 3.3 HD installation, Debian 2.4.2.2 SID
========
Here is the .conf file:
# /etc/mkinitrd/mkinitrd.conf:
#  Configuration file for mkinitrd(8).  See mkinitrd.conf(5).
#
# This file is meant to be parsed as a shell script.

# What modules to install.
MODULES=most

# The length (in seconds) of the startup delay during which linuxrc may be
# interrupted.
DELAY=0

# If this is set to probe mkinitrd will try to figure out what's needed to
# mount the root file system.  This is equivalent to the old PROBE=on setting.
ROOT=probe    #[MY COMMENT--man says this should pull the 'ext3' from the
fstab entry!]

# This controls the permission of the resulting initrd image.
UMASK=022

# Command to generate the initrd image.
MKIMAGE='mkcramfs %s %s > /dev/null'

# Set this to yes if you want to use busybox(1).
BUSYBOX=no

# Set this to no if you want to disable /usr/share/initrd-tools/scripts.
PKGSCRIPTS=yes
=======
Here is the modules file which originally has no uncommented entries:
# /etc/mkinitrd/modules: Kernel modules to load for initrd.
#
# This file should contain the names of kernel modules and their arguments
# (if any) that are needed to mount the root file system, one per line.
# Comments begin with a `#', and everything on the line after them are
ignored.
#
# You must run mkinitrd(8) to effect this change.
#
# Examples:
#
#  ext2