Re: nfs setup on woody

On Saturday 03 January 2004 17:30, GCS wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 03, 2004 at 05:34:46PM +0000, Richard Lyons
> <richard@the-place.net> wrote: [snip]
> > I did recently apt-get kernel-image 2.4.18-1-k6 (actually via
> > aptitude), but it doesn't boot correctly, so I continue with the
> > 2.2.20.
>
>  What's was the problem? Have you set it up correctly (I mean
> initrd-tools is not enough, you have to specify the initrd.img in
> your bootloader configuration - probably in lilo.conf).

The relevent section of lilo.conf:

   default=Linux_2.2

   image=/vmlinuz
        label=NoGo_2.4
        read-only
        initrd=/initrd.img

   image=/vmlinuz_2.2
        label=Linux_2.2
        read-only
        optional

and the simlinks are in place:
   initrd.img -> /boot/initrd.img-2.4.18-1-k6
   vmlinuz -> boot/vmlinuz-2.4.18-1-k6

and lilo was happy.

What was the problem? Well, hundreds of error messages, which are not in
dmesg, inluding stacks of insmod warnings and IRQ conflicts, but it all
goes too fast to read or remember.  The system does start, and even KDE
loads normally, but there is no networking at all.  I didn't bother to
investigate in detail because so many errors were listed that it seemed
like a life's work.

dmesg does include:
   PCI: No IRQ known for interrupt pin A of device 00:11.1. Please try
     using pci=biosirq.
   VP_IDE: Unknown VIA SouthBridge, contact Vojtech Pavlik
     <vojtech@suse.cz>
   ide0 at 0x1f0-0x1f7,0x3f6 on irq 14
   ide0: probed IRQ 14 failed, using default.
   ide1 at 0x170-0x177,0x376 on irq 15
   ide1: probed IRQ 15 failed, using default.
   PCI: Found IRQ 3 for device 00:10.0
   IRQ routing conflict for 00:10.0, have irq 9, want irq 3
   IRQ routing conflict for 00:10.1, have irq 9, want irq 3
   IRQ routing conflict for 00:10.2, have irq 9, want irq 3
   IRQ routing conflict for 00:10.3, have irq 9, want irq 3
   ...(and the same again for 00:10.1 and 00:10.2)
but the insmod and other things are not in there.

> > I suppose I could try dist-upgrade.  I know that nfs works out of
> > the box in Sid,
>
>  Just to be clear: dist-upgrade would give you Sarge on a Woody box,
> which is under testing.

What do you mean by "on a Woody box" - does the kernel not get upgraded?
And if it would only take me to Sarge, I could do it twice to get Sid,
couldn't I?

> > Someone will probably tell
> > me to compile a kernel, but I've wasted days reading howtos and
> > going through configurations I understand about 10% of, only to get
> > unusable kernels, so I'm not inclined to go that route.
>
>  It's not that hard, but you are right, it would be easier to install
> an image from deb than compile your one.

You probably understand the configuration options, which must help a
little.  Anyway, I've never succeeded yet.  It doesn't mean I will
never try again...

Thanks for the help so far.
--
richard