Re: locales and coding systems

On Sat, 13 Dec 2003 05:25:47 -0500, Haines Brown wrote:

> Do you happen to know which of these variable names is likely to be the
> one used by emacs? At this point, I may need to approach the problem from
> the emacs side, but my sense is that the problem is not there.

	It's been a long time...

	GNU Emacs should use LANG *and* LANGUAGE, LANG being a simple
preference set by localeconf (apt-get install localeconf) and LANGUAGE
being a preference list, due to the uncompleteness of several locales.

	localeconf will put your system preference where it belongs,
namely /etc/environment.  /etc/bash.bashrc is good only for bash, so it is
not a good idea for X11 apps launched for icons and the such.

	Please install localeconf and report your /etc/environment, as well
as what you get with M-x getenv LANG under GNU Emacs.

--
Leandro Guimarães Faria Corsetti Dutra           +55 (11) 5685 2219
Av Sgto Geraldo Santana, 1100 6/71               +55 (11) 5686 9607