Re: nfs setup on woody

<richard@the-place.net> wrote:
> > >  Do you have more shares on this machine, or is this the only one
> > > in the exports file?
> >
> > It is the only one at the moment.
>
>  Then I am almost sure that the kernel support is missing. Do you
> have the following modules loaded: nfs, lockd, sunrpc? It's also ok
> to have them compiled into the kernel: CONFIG_NFS_FS, CONFIG_NFSD,
> CONFIG_LOCKD, CONFIG_SUNRPC. BTW, what's your kernel version?

# uname -r
2.2.20-idepci

no they are not loaded:
# lsmod
Module                  Size  Used by
parport_pc              7276   1  (autoclean)
lp                      4580   0
parport                 6676   1  [parport_pc lp]
af_packet               6136   0  (unused)

and
# modprobe nfs
modprobe: Can't locate module nfs
# modprobe lockd
modprobe: Can't locate module lockd

So you are evidently right. Pity. The howto suggests anything over
2.2.16 supports nfs.

I did recently apt-get kernel-image 2.4.18-1-k6 (actually via aptitude),
but it doesn't boot correctly, so I continue with the 2.2.20.

I suppose I could try dist-upgrade.  I know that nfs works out of the
box in Sid, and I haven't had any real problems with Sid.  The reason I
chose Woody was that I just wanted to play safe as that box is used by
the rest of the family, who don't want to cope with problems,
particularly when I am out of the country.  Someone will probably tell
me to compile a kernel, but I've wasted days reading howtos and going
through configurations I understand about 10% of, only to get unusable
kernels, so I'm not inclined to go that route.

--
richard