nfs setup on woody

I've recently moved a third machine to Debian.  This one is Woody, base
system installed from first disk of CD set and then from ftp.
Only problem is I cannot connect to it by nfs.

On the woody system, I get this when nfs starts:
   Exporting directories for NFS kernel daemon...machine.domain:/home\
      /richard:Function not implemented
   done.
   Starting NFS kernel daemon: nfsd mountd.
   # rpcinfo -p
      program vers proto   port
       100000    2   tcp    111  portmapper
       100000    2   udp    111  portmapper
       391002    1   tcp   1025  sgi_fam
       391002    2   tcp   1025  sgi_fam
       100024    1   udp   1037  status
       100024    1   tcp   2006  status
       100005    1   udp   1038  mountd
       100005    1   tcp   2007  mountd
       100005    2   udp   1038  mountd
       100005    2   tcp   2007  mountd

Which is odd, as I expected 'nfs' and 'nlockmgr' instead of 'sgi_fam'.
What is sgi_fam, anyway?  And what package installed it?  Sounds like
Silicon Graphics, in which case it's presumably a mistake.

In view of the "Function not implemented" message, it's hardly a
surprise that I can't connect. This is what I get when I try the mount
on my machine (running Sid FWIW):
   $ mount attic
   mount: machine.domain:/home/richard failed, reason given by server:\
      Permission denied

I've drawn a blank in the howto and removing and reinstalling nfs makes
no difference.  Any wise words gratefully accepted...

--
richard