Re: woody: devpts, pppd, and kernel-2.6: failed connection to /dev/pts/0

On Thu, Jan 01, 2004 at 07:19:43PM +0100, Mario Vukelic wrote:
> On Thu, 2004-01-01 at 18:13, Jan Minar wrote:
>
> > Notice there is no info that could actually be used to figure out what
> > went wrong.
>

> That's a correct observation. This is because there is no more info in
> the logs. I did post what info there is. If I had that info, I would

Logs aren't everything--especially with pppd(8).  It won't report media
failures.  Aha, maybe this is what might be of some usefulness to you:
pppd printing out those ``ppp0 <-> /dev/foo'' lines doesn't mean
/dev/foo is OK.  It happily printed these when running over a serial
port, wile it wasn't able to establish a connection.  When I switched
the cable to the other port, everything went OK.  The port worked few
days before, and got apparently burned in the meantime.

> * Check this or that or

Trace what pppd writes/reads -- use the pppd's `pty' option.

--
Jan Minar                      "Please don't CC me, I'm subscribed." x 4