Re: Sneaking past firewalls: ssh on port 23 or 80?

On Mon, Dec 29, 2003 at 03:21:27PM -0600, Nathan Eric Norman wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 29, 2003 at 11:42:11AM -0700, Monique Y. Herman wrote:
> > On Mon, 29 Dec 2003 at 17:15 GMT, Paul Morgan penned:
> > >
> > > Even with huge internet links, radio is a problem.  My corp has
> > > upwards of 50,000 PCs, you can imagine the problem and associated cost
> > > if rules weren't strict and the penalties non-trivial ("not excluding
> > > termination")
> > >
> > > If you're at work, and you're stealing your company resources (or your
> > > time for which your company has paid you) for personal reasons, you're
> > > a thief, no two ways about it.
> > >

> > I wonder if a company could get brownie points with its employees and
> > save bandwidth at the same time by proxying/caching some internet radio
> > stations for their use?  Only one "user" for as many internal users as
> > wanted it?
> >
> > I have no idea of the technical feasibility of that, nor of the
> > legalities.  Just a thought.
>
> It works as long as everyone's willing to listen to the same thing :-)
> Or, to put it another way, you need N users per "proxy" stream, where
> N is a number greater than, say, 4, to make it worthwhile.  Obviously
> there's still a upper bound on how many proxy streams you can support.
>
> Realaudio made (and possibly still makes) a proxy for their audio
> streaming format.  It wasn't cheap when I looked at it a few years
> ago.  There are free alternatives like icecast if you're streaming
> mp3s (which may have other legal issues for a company ...)
>
> Howeer, all this assumes that you have plenty of internal bandwidth,
> and are only squeezed on external bandwidth.  Many companies do not
> have an excess of internal bandwidth: think a company with many sites
> connected by fractional DS-1 links.
>
> Cheers,

One company I worked for had a mp3 directory all employees could mount
through nfs and listen to (don't know if there are legal issues to this).
On the other had my computer there spent most of its time compiling
(usually three or four heavy jobs in parallel) and four computers
connected to my hub usually soaking the bandwidth (network stress
testing mostly) so I ended up using a mini disk player since the songs
kept jumping and dying on me ;-)