Re: Sneaking past firewalls: ssh on port 23 or 80?

On Mon, Dec 15, 2003 at 03:35:28PM -0800, Nunya wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 15, 2003 at 06:14:54PM -0500, Derrick 'dman' Hudson wrote:
> > home->work).  However, my employer doesn't mind.  I use tunnelling
> > just to bypass the technical limits of a single IP address and NAT.
>
> Thanks, I was looking for at least one person to say "my employer
> doesn't mind."  Of course, they are trusting you, because you are in a
> controlled way blowing holes in the security perimeter.
>
> Obviously from Matthew Joyce's response some people don't feel the same!
>
> All I want to do is (1) listen to internet radio, if its blocked and (2)
> do my ordinary, noncriminal private things that everyone does at work
> anyway truly in private.

I was feeling some empathy for you until you mentioned internet radio.
Why should your employer have to pay for your bandwidth to listen to
internet radio?  Not every business has huge links to the Internet,
and many have very small WAN links connecting offices.  Is this ideal?
Of course not, but people like you who abuse the network _do not
help_.  Requests for more bandwidth are turned down with the response
"Well, last week you caught that Tom guy using internet radio.  If we
cut down on the abuse we'd have plenty of bandwidth!"

Never underestimate the ability of management to avoid technical
arguments when faced with the prospect of saving money.

> Why o why must I always end up in these mental gray areas!!!

A personal flaw?

  GUIs normally make it simple to accomplish simple actions and
  impossible to accomplish complex actions.
          -- Doug Gwyn