Sneaking past firewalls: ssh on port 23 or 80?

As I think about getting a job, I realize wherever next will probably
block outgoing traffic on most ports.

I always thought I could have ssh listen on some port which gets through
like FTP port or HTTP port to bypass all those restrictions.

Two obvious, unavoidable problems will be: my employer probably won't
want me wasting bandwidth and opening a security hole.

(1) Will it work and (2) is it opening a security hole?

What are the workarounds?  I guess I could live in a Ricochet city and
use my own laptop not plugged into the company .net.

Does anybody have any thoughts?