Re: Sneaking past firewalls: ssh on port 23 or 80?

On Mon, Dec 29, 2003 at 11:42:11AM -0700, Monique Y. Herman wrote:
> I wonder if a company could get brownie points with its employees and
> save bandwidth at the same time by proxying/caching some internet radio
> stations for their use?  Only one "user" for as many internal users as
> wanted it?
>
> I have no idea of the technical feasibility of that, nor of the
> legalities.  Just a thought.

It's very easy to do technically. I used a similar idea when I was on
dialup to broadcast internet radio. I sent my stream to a computer
with a decent connection and had it do the broadcasting. Basically you
create a private station on the dialup and have the computer with the
real bandwidth connect to it and run it's own server.

This is all very easy to do using icecast or shoutcast mp3 streaming
software.

Bijan
--
Bijan Soleymani <bijan@psq.com>