Re: which email server to choose

Will Trillich said on Sun, Dec 28, 2003 at 01:54:06AM -0600:
> so, what's the best imap/webmail solution for a woody server? :)

It really depends on your site.  The three most well known are probably
uw-imap, courier-imap, and Cyrus.

> advantages, disadvantages, why, why not...

Cyrus will scale the best.  It's also the most complex.  If you have a large
site (or expect to have a large site), you probably should use this one.

I've been at sites that used uw-imap, and I'm currently running a site that
uses Courier IMAP.  uw-imap appears to be a bit slower, unless you are using
the mbx mailbox format (as opposed to mbox).  Courier uses Maildir+ (basically,
Maildir with support for folders).

If Courier is on top of ReiserFS, it appears to be about as fast as uw-imap
using mbx format for small sites.  However, I found Courier's IMAP server to be
easier to get working with TLS support, so I used that.

I don't use the Courier SMTP server, preferring Postfix.

> we're hoping for mod_perl (avoiding php) solutions to the
> webmail situation... wing seems like a likely candidate, but
> there's a dearth of info -- web-imap.sf.net has no screen dumps
> and very little marketing-speak...

I've only tried two webmail solutions: IMP and Squirrelmail.  Squirrelmail has
been great, but it's PHP based, so it doesn't appear to meet your reqs.