Re: opinion: compare various imap servers

At 2003-12-28T04:10:06Z, Will Trillich <will@serensoft.com> writes:

> so we're looking for advice -- as subjective or as objective as you can
> make it -- on implementing an imap email server.

I'm using Cyrus and I love it.  I don't have a large installation, but it
"feels" very fast.  That is, I can open folders with tens of thousands of
emails as fast as my client can run.

Advantages: there is no direct correspondence between system accounts and
email accounts.  It's perfectly normal (and expected) to have email users
without any login access.  Cyrus supports shared folders so that you could,
for example, have a single "site announcement" folder so that you can email
all of your customers just by putting a message in it.  Neat stuff.

Disadvantages: well, you have to learn how to use it.  The (very short)
initial learning curve is quite steep if you don't already know SASL (the
authentication system that Cyrus, and increasingly other apps) use.  Once
you have a magic "Aha!" moment, though, it's very easy to administer.

> we'll probably also be looking to deliver a webmail interface
> (squirrelmail? courier? sqwebmail?) as well.

Squirrelmail rocks.  I've rolled it out to several client sites with much
acclaim.  It has plugins for everything you could possible want.
--
Kirk Strauser
In Googlis non est, ergo non est.