Re: knode: fonts appear double-spaced.

On Sun, Dec 28, 2003 at 09:09:47AM -0800, Marc Wilson wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 28, 2003 at 08:45:34AM -0800, Ross Boylan wrote:
> > I see double spaced fonts when I start xterm.  I don't know if it's
> > related, though I'd love to fix it!
>
> Double-spaced horizontally, or vertically?  Horizontally would normally
Horizontally.
> indicate you tried to use a non-monospaced font as an anti-aliased font ion
> xterm.
What determines whether I am trying to use it as an anti-aliased font?

As detailed below, I can't figure out what font xterm is using, though
I don't think I've done anything to override the Debian defaults.

I found this in /usr/share/doc/xfree86-common/RELNOTES.gz :
 Release Notes for XFree86[tm] 4.2.1
By default, xterm uses core fonts through the standard core API.  It has a
command line option and associated resource to direct it to use Xft instead:

   o -fa family / .VT100.faceName: family.  Selects the font family to use.

This sounds to me as if it should not be using Xft, and so, I think,
anti-aliasing, by default.

Other documentation suggests "fixed" is what gets used by default, but
xterm -fn fixed
xterm -fn 9x15
both look reasonable

xterm -fa fixed produces white on white
xterm -fa 9x15 is OK (though quite big)

I don't set the font anywhere in .Xresources
/etc/X11/app-defaults/ doesn't seem to either, though UXTerm includes
*VT100*font:	-misc-fixed-medium-r-semicondensed--13-120-75-75-c-60-iso10646-1
xterm -fn with that looks same as xterm -fn fixed
xterm -fa with that is OK, though big.

I don't know if UXTerm is relevant for me.

In short, not only is it not working, but I can't even figure out what
font it is using that is producing the problem.

Here's my XftConfig, despite my suspicion that it's only relevant if I use -fa:
dir "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Type1"
#dir "/usr/local/share/fonts/TrueType"
dir "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/FreeType"
dir "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/Speedo"
dir "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/misc"
dir "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi/"
dir "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi/"

#
# alias 'fixed' for 'mono'
#
match any family == "fixed"		edit family =+ "mono";

#
# Check users config file
#
includeif	"~/.xftconfig"

#
# Alias between XLFD families and font file family name, prefer local
# fonts
#
match any family == "charter"		edit family += "bitstream charter";
match any family == "bitstream charter" edit family =+ "charter";

In particular, I have the fixed fonts in there, and I'm not sure this
engine can handle them.

Xf86Config-4 says, in part
-----------------------------------
Section "Files"
	#FontPath	"unix/:7100"			# local font server
	# if the local font server has problems, we can fall back on these
	FontPath	"/usr/local/share/fonts/TrueType"
	FontPath	"/usr/lib/X11/fonts/Type1"
	FontPath	"/usr/lib/X11/fonts/CID"
	FontPath	"/usr/lib/X11/fonts/Speedo"
	FontPath	"/usr/lib/X11/fonts/misc"