Re: Realtek rtl8139 nic and 2.4.20 kernel

Uwe Dippel wrote:

> IMHO someone in here was right: module - IP - routing. We haven't had it
> on routing yet.

I simply have no idea how to do this. But I just found this very
interesting post, which leads me to believe that the problem is
unrelated to the particular device:

From
http://cert.uni-stuttgart.de/archive/debian/testing/2002/05/msg00077.html

     On Mon, May 13, 2002 at 06:18:13PM -0400, aeleblanc@olgc.on.ca wrote:
     > immediately after installing woody and confirming everything was working
     > ok, I compiled a new kernel 2.4.19-pre8 and my network connection
     > disappeared.  the eth0 device is there and the driver is compiled into the
     > kernel properly, i think the problem is that DHCP Isn't running, I don't
     > see anything in /var/log/messages or in the dmesg regarding a network
     > connection, i just see that the ethernet cards are detected properly.  how
     > can i get the network running again?

     I had similar some time ago. The problem in my case  was that I didn't have
     socket filtering compiled into my kernel. Without it the standard dhcp
     client shipped with debian/woody doesn't work. You may try to find out
     if it's the same with you by setting your interfaces manually (if you
     don't know how: man ifconfig is a good thing to begin with). Just assign
     the same IP addresses, gateways and masks to your interfaces your dhcp
     client would fetch if it worked properly. If the network is then up I
     suppose you'll have to compile the following options into your kernel:
     Networking option->socket-filtering, also I recommend the option pocket
     socket as well. Install your the kernel again and try to reboot.

     > BTW if I boot into the old 2.2.20 kernel that was installed during setup
     > the network works fine.,

Obviously, this is my situation, exactly. I'm going to try recompiling
my kernel with socket filtering. But what I am having trouble with is
this line from the fellow who gave the advice

>Just assign the same IP addresses, gateways and masks to your
>interfaces your dhcp  client would fetch if it worked properly.

Is it possible that someone can tell me how to do this? I read man
ifconfig, but I can't see how I am supposed to apply that to this
problem. I also wrote to the person who made the original query, to see
if s/he resolved it (it was over a year ago, so who knows if they
remember!)

Chuck

Charles Muller
Toyo Gakuen University
Faculty of Humanities
1660 Hiregasaki, Nagareyama-shi
Chiba 270-0161, JAPAN

Web Resources for East Asian Language and Thought
http://www.acmuller.net