Re: Is Evolution available for net-installation

On Friday 26 December 2003 07:07 am, Stephen Liu wrote:
> Hi Uwe,
>
> 在 星期五 26 十二月 2003 22:21,Uwe Dippel 寫道:
> > On Fri, 26 Dec 2003 12:44:13 +0800, Stephen Liu wrote:
> > > Now in my new Debian 3.0 box I resume thinking of "Ximian
> > > Evolution' 1.4 which I also have been using for a prolonged time.
> > >  But its spam filter is not strong compared with "thunderbird"
> >
> > AFAIK, it doesn't have any !?
> >
> > > Have you ever encountered the problem of the file 'XUL.mfasl'.
> > > If YES, kindly advise about your solution.
> >
> > No, never encountered this problem; neither on Thunderbird 0.3
> > (Testing) nor Sid (Thunderbird 0.4)
>
> Above noted with thanks
>
> > Woody comes with 1.0.5, once again AFAIK. So go mixed systems, then
> > !?
> >
> > Or try Thunderbird, nevertheless. Contrary to Evo, which depends on
> > half of the worldwide accessible libraries, Thunderbird is much
> > more lean. Try both and decide for yourself !
>
> $ cat /etc/debian_version
> testing/unstable
>
> I made a mistake.  I am running 'Debian testing'
>
> $ apt-cache show thunderbird
> W: Unable to locate package thunderbird
>
> $ apt-cache search thunderbird
> mozilla-thunderbird - Mozilla Thunderbird standalone mail client
> mozilla-thunderbird-enigmail - Enigmail - GPG support for Mozilla
> Thunderbird
>
> What is the version of Mozilla Thunderbird available on Debian site
> for download?  How to find it?
>
> Thanks
>
> B.R.
> Stephen

Another option, that may be less troublesome than using mixed versions
of deb packages, is to use the .tar.gz file from the vendor. I.E.
Mozilla provides Thunderbird.tar.gz package, untar it to /usr/local and
link the binary to /usr/local/bin, make sure /usr/local/bin is in your
path. This keeps your system clean as far as apt knows, you can just
delete the Thunderbird or whatever dir when the package gets released/
installed as a deb file. /usr/local (/opt for LSB/FSH?) is a good place
to manage third party software, afaik.
- --
Greg Madden
Debian GNU/Linux