Re: Is Evolution available for net-installation

Hi Greg,

Thanks for your detail advice.

> Another option, that may be less troublesome than using mixed versions
> of deb packages, is to use the .tar.gz file from the vendor. I.E.
> Mozilla provides Thunderbird.tar.gz package, untar it to /usr/local and
> link the binary to /usr/local/bin, make sure /usr/local/bin is in your
> path. This keeps your system clean as far as apt knows, you can just
> delete the Thunderbird or whatever dir when the package gets released/
> installed as a deb file. /usr/local (/opt for LSB/FSH?) is a good place
> to manage third party software, afaik.

That is what I did on other distros.  Because I just install this Debian box
and expect to experience doing it in Debian way.  If it will have trouble
then I prefer getting back to my own way, hoping that all relevant
dependencies are available.

I will start another postings in re of
1) checkinstall on Debian
2) equivalent of RPM command on Deb