Re: dial-up to ethernet

mmissett wrote:

Kent,

Thank you again for your response. To answer your questions:

Do you have other machines getting dhcp addresses on this LAN? Or better yet, can you throw a Knoppix CD in the computer and see if it gets an address? (There may be some sort of hardware/cabling/network issue.)

I have Debian running on my Mac and with the Mac OS it is connecting with no problem. There are also two PCs connecting with no problem.

Is this a stock kernel (you haven't compiled it yourself)? You can get the version with the command "uname -a"

It is the stock kernel: 2.2.17.

Pump is installed and running (it was invoked by "/etc/init.d/networking/ start " when it was trying unsuccessfully to run the altered /etc/network/interfaces
To see if you have one of these clients running, you can use the ps command,

That returns:

233pts/0  S  0:00 grep -E dhcp|pump

So,... still stuck.

You need single quotes around the 'dhcp|pump' part:

ps ax | grep -E 'dhcp|pump'

  215 ?        S      0:00 pump -i eth0

If you still don't get something like the above, then pump is not running.

It's _probably_ some sort of configuration problem, but just to eliminate hardware/cabling problems, I'd try Knoppix. It'd suck to spend hours on trying to solve a software problem just to find out a 5 minute test with Knoppix indicates a hardware/cabling problem.

--
Kent