Re: dial-up to ethernet

Kent West wrote:

>You need single quotes around the
'dhcp|pump' part:

>>ps ax | grep -E 'dhcp|pump'
>>
>>   215 ?        S      0:00 pump -i eth0
>
>If you still don't get something like the above,
then pump is not running.

>It's _probably_ some sort of configuration
problem, but just to
>eliminate hardware/cabling problems, I'd try
Knoppix. It'd suck to spend
>hours on trying to solve a software problem
just to find out a 5 minute
>test with Knoppix indicates a hardware/cabling
problem.

Kent,

  Thanks yet again.  Sorry if I was not clear.  I
*did* run:

ps ax | grep -E 'dhcp|pump'

exactly that way.

What it produced in response was, exactly:

233pts/0  S  0:00 grep -E dhcp|pump

I don't know what that means, but if I am
understanding you correctly, it means pump is
not running?

Despite the fact that:

/etc/init.d/networking start

*did* produce a reference to pump (the exact
wording I don't remember-but as though it was
running it) when it was trying to follow the
altered version of

/etc/network/interfaces

I don't know what Knoppix is, but please let me
know.  I frankly don't see how it could be
hardware or cabling, though, when the same
computer, when running on a different OS, is
having none of these problems.

Mike