re: dial-up to ethernet

Kent,

  Thank you again for your response.  To answer
your questions:

>Do you have other machines getting dhcp
>addresses on this LAN? Or better
>yet, can you throw a Knoppix CD in the
>computer and see if it gets an
>address? (There may be some sort of
>hardware/cabling/network issue.)

  I have Debian running on my Mac and with the
Mac OS it is connecting with no problem.  There
are also two PCs connecting with no problem.

>Is this a stock kernel (you haven't compiled it
>yourself)?
>You can get the version with the command
>"uname -a"

It is the stock kernel: 2.2.17.

Pump is installed and running (it was invoked
by "/etc/init.d/networking/ start " when it was
trying unsuccessfully to run the altered
/etc/network/interfaces

>To see if you have one of these clients running,
>you can use the ps
>command,

That returns:

233pts/0  S  0:00 grep -E dhcp|pump

So,... still stuck.

Mike

enjae[westk]:/home/westk> ps ax | grep -E
'dhcp|pump'
7743 ?        S      0:00 pump -i eth0

(This works because all the clients listed above
either have "dhcp" or
"pump" in their name.)

If you don't have a dhcp client running, that's
probably the problem.
You can install one with something like:
  apt-get install pump
or
  apt-get intall dhcp-client