Re: how to create an encrypted loop device?

Hello

Kevin Mark (<kmark+debian-user@pipeline.com>) wrote:

> I did a search and found that there is a debian package for
> cryptoloop. Do you have to compile a kernel for this? If so, is there
> a prebuilt module for this? If not, is it for legal or other issues?
> Also, why have the blowfish and other crypto modules IN the
> precompiled kernel and the required CRYPTOLOOP modules output the main
> kernel deb?

The Debian kernels in Woody have neither cryptoloop nor cryptoapi
support. The cryptoapi (the cipher modules like blowfish and the
cryptoapi module) can be built outside of the Kernel. If you want to
use cryptoloop support, you have to patch at least the source for the
loop module and recompile it. Maybe you have to recompile the kernel,
you can probably look this up in the documentation on
<http://www.kerneli.org>. This is what the cryptoloop patch does, but I
think it does only work with the Kernel version the patch was made for.
I also haven't tried to use the cryptoapi with the precompiled Debian
Kernel, I use a self compiled 2.4.23 Kernel with the cryptoapi from
kerneli.org.

best regards
        Andreas Janssen

--