Re: hard disk access on every keystroke in console mode!

Joey Hess wrote:

> Testing and unstable both come with a bootlogd that will log everything
> that it output to the screen to /var/log/boot. It is active if you boot
> to single user mode, and during the boot, but should be shut off after
> boot is complete. This is a likely explanation for what you're describing.

Aha!
That's it. That explains the disk activity in single user mode. I tried a
console login after normal boot and thought I had the same issue, but it's
something altogether different. The normal login does some sort of database
updating that does a lot of disk access (find, sort, and updatedb show up
in a ps listing. What is this for BTW?)

I was doing a kernel compile and booted to single user thinking it would be
faster, but all of the logging made it much slower. Can I kill bootlogd in
single user mode when I don't want it?

The pauses in KDE3 must be due to something else.

Thank you very much!