Re: hard disk access on every keystroke in console mode!

Derrick 'dman' Hudson wrote:

> What CPU?  How much memory?  What speed memory?  What sort of disks
> (bus type, speed, etc.)?  What does 'hdparm /dev/hda' report?
>
> It sounds like you're hitting a bottleneck in the hardware
> configuration.

Pentium 4, 2.1 GHz, 1 GB RAM, 200 MHz RAM
IDE Bus, 400 MHz system bus
IDE cable supports UDMA-33 and ATA-66/100
The hard disk supports pio 1-4, dma through mdma 1-4 and udma 1-5
nVidia TNT2 AGP video card

booting single user in 80x25 text mode gives still gives me the hard disk
acces on each keypress.

Oh yeah, I'm using sarge with various kernels (2.2.20, 2.4.22, 2.6.0-test9,
2.6.0-test11) all giving the same results. Previously, woody was on this
machine, and this problem didn't occur.

Is there a configuration file somewhere that sets the amount of memory to
use for the bash shell? If so, what is it? And could it be set to something
absurdly small?

Or is this perhaps from a keylogger secretly installed? If so, how could I
detect it?

Thank you.