Re: hard disk access on every keystroke in console mode!

Joey Hess <joeyh@debian.org> said on Wed, 17 Dec 2003 13:24:37 -0500:

> --+jhVVhN62yS6hEJ8
>
> michelle wrote:
> > booting single user in 80x25 text mode gives still gives me the hard disk=
> =20
> > acces on each keypress.
>
> Testing and unstable both come with a bootlogd that will log everything
> that it output to the screen to /var/log/boot. It is active if you boot
> to single user mode, and during the boot, but should be shut off after
> boot is complete. This is a likely explanation for what you're describing.

That would be it; thanks. Explains why not in X, and only in console.

Unfortunately, I cannot remember whether after killing bootlogd
manually, the disk accessing kept happening.

The question: I thought I told all my log files to not sync. Why does
bootlogd insist on syncing after it writes something? In case of boot
failure, I guess. Still annoying that it then syncs on every single
keypress.

A computer scientist's description of life:
    Even if the underpowered inter-continental links could take it,
you'd see a routing nightmare. BGP packets would be flying around
in circles panicking, and any sane network administrator would lock
him or herself in a small room and whimper until it was all over.