Wish to network my home computers but don't know Jack about it

.
I am finally getting around to networking my family boxen (Christmas
present to myself) but haven't a clue about networking anything.  I am
here asking for the most out-of-box networking solution for a home
situation.  I am not as interested in speed as compatibility with the
existing spread of OSs which include Libranet Linux upgraded to Sid (my
box, of course), Win95, Win95 laptop, Win98 laptop, WinME, WinXP laptop,
and an old 486 with Win3.11 which may not get networked at all.

Except for the 486 all boxen are Pentium 90 or better. Except for the
WinXP and Win98 boxen all the rest will be going Debian(well, Libranet's
version) as soon as some data can be swapped around. From a strictly
workman's point of view, I would much prefer wireless if the old OSs or
hardware can be made to support it.

Any advice, recommendations, pointers, flames, etc. will be greatly
appreciated.
Thanks.

Rusty Smith
AKA (in non-Linux fora)