Re: Wish to network my home computers but don't know Jack about it

On Fri, 19 Dec 2003 at 17:29 GMT, Cybe R. Wizard penned:
> .  I am finally getting around to networking my family boxen
> (Christmas present to myself) but haven't a clue about networking
> anything.  I am here asking for the most out-of-box networking
> solution for a home situation.  I am not as interested in speed as
> compatibility with the existing spread of OSs which include Libranet
> Linux upgraded to Sid (my box, of course), Win95, Win95 laptop, Win98
> laptop, WinME, WinXP laptop, and an old 486 with Win3.11 which may not
> get networked at all.
>
> Except for the 486 all boxen are Pentium 90 or better. Except for the
> WinXP and Win98 boxen all the rest will be going Debian(well,
> Libranet's version) as soon as some data can be swapped around. From a
> strictly workman's point of view, I would much prefer wireless if the
> old OSs or hardware can be made to support it.
>
> Any advice, recommendations, pointers, flames, etc. will be greatly
> appreciated.  Thanks.

Maybe a dense question here, but what type of networking support are you
looking for?  ftp? ssh/scp? smb?  Will you be providing an internal dns
server?  What is the connection to your home, and are you planning on
having all machines connect to the outside world?

Just off the top of my head, I seem to remember that getting win98 and
win2k/xp working together in an smb world is difficult.

--
monique