Re: Wish to network my home computers but don't know Jack about it

On Fri, Dec 19, 2003 at 11:29:27AM -0600, Cybe R. Wizard wrote:
> .
> I am finally getting around to networking my family boxen (Christmas
> present to myself) but haven't a clue about networking anything.  I am
> here asking for the most out-of-box networking solution for a home
> situation.  I am not as interested in speed as compatibility with the
> existing spread of OSs which include Libranet Linux upgraded to Sid (my
> box, of course), Win95, Win95 laptop, Win98 laptop, WinME, WinXP laptop,
> and an old 486 with Win3.11 which may not get networked at all.
>
> Except for the 486 all boxen are Pentium 90 or better. Except for the
> WinXP and Win98 boxen all the rest will be going Debian(well, Libranet's
> version) as soon as some data can be swapped around. From a strictly
> workman's point of view, I would much prefer wireless if the old OSs or
> hardware can be made to support it.
>
> Any advice, recommendations, pointers, flames, etc. will be greatly
> appreciated.
> Thanks.

I know zip about the wireless stuff, so can't address that (beyond the
obvious that it entails different HW), but I do suggest that you do
that bit of searching on general stuff and plan out what you want
(hey--it's your present, so may as well approach it with some foresight
and do it right.. :).

Personally I'd go ahead and aim for a single access point to the
Net--firewall/dns/etc.--and get the others working through it.  Dial-up
doesn't affect this.  Printing will follow the same lines.  These are
reasonable first goals, I think, and will teach you a lot.  Others will
follow as experience/desire goes up.

Get the basics down first, though.  Then you can research about more
specific questions, and when you ask here it will be far more
productive (the answers will make more sense to you).

HTH,

Kenward
--
In a completely rational society, the best of us would aspire to be
_teachers_ and the rest of us would have to settle for something less,