Re: Wish to network my home computers but don't know Jack about it

On Fri, 19 Dec 2003 11:29:27 -0600
"Cybe R. Wizard" <cybe_r_wizard@earthlink.net> wrote:

> .
> I am finally getting around to networking my family boxen (Christmas
> present to myself) but haven't a clue about networking anything.

Thanks to all who replied, especially Kevin Mark, Kent West, Ken Irving,
and Doug Hunting for excellent technical advice and encouragement.
I am getting a better idea of what all is involved and it doesn't look
too difficult as long as I can figure out the differences between
routers, switches, hubs, access points, and network adapters.  In truth,
these all look as if they do the same job to me.  No?

I will, in all likelihood, be asking more questions in the near future
and will let you all know what hardware I decide upon (more to get any
'nix' opinions than anything else, really) and how I am progressing.

I am so glad I finally found Debian.  I find the help truly amazing both
here and on the Libranet mailing list.  With a good solid philosophy,
enthusiastic coders, and a very knowledgeable and /courteous/ user base,
how can it go wrong?  The fact that the OS is so very good is just icing
on the already delicious cake!

Rusty Smith, Debian GNUbie
AKA (in non-Linux fora)
Cybe R. Wizard